Non-fungible token (NFT) and metaverse investor Animoca Brands has raised a further $75 million at a valuation of $5.9 billion.
- Existing investors Liberty City Ventures, 10T and Kingsway were among those participating.
- January's raise was extended to accommodate due diligence processes, Animoca announced Tuesday.
- Animoca Brands said it will use the capital to fund acquisitions, investments and product development as well as secure licenses for popular intellectual properties and advance the open metaverse.
- The company's portfolio contains more than 150 NFT-related projects, including play-to-earn game Axie Infinity, Dapper Labs (the company behind NBA Top Shot) and OpenSea, the largest NFT trading platform. Animoca also has a majority stake in metaverse game The Sandbox.
- The fundraise shows that despite the bearishness in the digital asset market, capital is still finding its way to well-established firms in the industry.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.