Animoca Brands, an investor in non-fungible token (NFT) and metaverse projects, raised almost $360 million at a valuation of $5.5 billion.
- The funding round represents a doubling in Animoca's value in less than three months. The venture capital firm raised $65 million at a $2.2 billion valuation in October.
- Liberty City Ventures led the latest fundraising round, which included contributions from Winklevoss Capital, Soros Fund Management and 10T Holdings.
- Animoca plans to use the funds to fuel acquisitions and investments, product development and licenses for popular intellectual properties, according to an announcement Tuesday.
- The company's portfolio contains more than 150 NFT-related projects, including play-to-earn game Axie Infinity, Dapper Labs, the company behind NBA Top Shot, and OpenSea, the largest NFT trading platform. It also has a majority stake in metaverse game The Sandbox.
- Most recently, Animoca led an $8 million funding round into Burnt Finance, an NFT platform built on the Solana blockchain.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.