- The Sandbox is an Ethereum-based platform where players can “play, create, own, and govern a virtual world,” its site states.
- Players can own in-game assets in the form of non-fungible tokens (NFTs), such as plots of land that they can build on.
- The Sandbox token, SAND, has a $2.46 billion market cap, according to data from intelligence platform CoinMarketCap.
- The startup’s majority stakeholder is Hong Kong-based gaming firm Animoca Brands, an early metaverse and GameFi backer that was valued at $2.2 billion after raising $65 million in October.
- Other investors in the round include True Global Ventures, Liberty City Ventures, Galaxy Interactive, Kingsway Capital and Blue Pool Capital.
- Singapore-based True Global Ventures contributed $10 million to the round through its blockchain-focused 4 Plus fund, according to a separate press release shared with CoinDesk.
- The virtual world now has $144 million in gross merchandise value, 500,000 registered wallets, and 12,000 unique landowners, the press release said.
- The Sandbox has set up partnerships with names like rapper Snoop Dogg, AMC TV series “The Walking Dead,” children’s cartoons “Care Bears” and “The Smurfs,” gaming brand Atari and non-fungible token (NFT) collection CryptoKitties.
UPDATE (Nov. 2, 10:00 UTC): Adds details about True Global Ventures investment.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.