Animoca Brands Leads $8M Fundraising Round for NFT Platform Built on Solana
The funding will go toward expanding Burnt Finance’s headcount and tapping new partnerships with artists and other Solana-based projects.
Burnt Finance, a protocol built on Solana, has raised $8 million in a funding round led by Animoca Brands. The protocol also launched its non-fungible token (NFT) platform.
- The capital will go toward adding staff and exploring partnerships with artists and other Solana-based projects.
- Burnt Finance, known for burning a piece of artwork from street artist Banksy before selling a digitized version as an NFT, also said it has launched its NFT marketplace, which will feature auctions and allows users to mint and sell digital assets.
- Other investors in the round included Alameda Research, Multicoin Capital, Valor Capital, Figment, Spartan Capital, HashKey, Terra, Fantom and others.
- Alameda and Multicoin led the protocol’s $3M fundraising round in May.
- “We are now looking to expand onto other chains such as Terra and Fantom while building out new functionalities that bridge the worlds of DeFi [decentralized finance] with NFTs,” the Burnt Finance team, which insists on anonymity, said in an emailed statement.
- The team sees demand for NFTs continuing to surge. Data from DappRadar shows the NFT market reached $22 billion in 2021.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.