UK Regulator's Temporary Crypto Registration List Drops to 5 Firms
CEX.I0, Copper Technologies, GlobalBlock, Revolut and Moneybrain remain on the temporary registration list.
Just five crypto companies remain on the Financial Conduct Authority's (FCA) temporary registration (TRR) list, meaning they're still able to trade while their applications are being considered by the U.K. financial services regulator.
- CEX.I0, Copper Technologies, GlobalBlock, Revolut and Moneybrain, are on the TRR according to an updated document on the FCA website on Thursday.
- The FCA set up the TRR to allow digital asset companies whose applications for full authorization had yet to be ruled on to continue to operate.
- Being on the list does not mean the FCA has assessed them as "fit and proper," it said on its website.
- By March 30 a dozen firms occupied the TRR, and the deadline for most firms to remain on the list was April 1. The FCA extended that deadline for "a small number of firms."
- "This is necessary where a firm may be pursuing an appeal or may have particular winding-down circumstances," it said at the time.
- ITI Digital Limited, a crypto asset trading company received approval on Thursday, bringing the total number of fully registered crypto firms to 34. That was the first approval since Feb. 25.
- The regulator said Thursday it would be hiring 80 employees to help crack down on any problem firms across its remit.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.