UK's FCA Extends Temporary Registration Deadline for Select Crypto Firms
The Temporary Registration Regime will end April 1 "for all but for a small number of firms where it is strictly necessary."
The U.K.'s Financial Conduct Authority pushed back its March 31 deadline for some crypto firms to attain full registration.
- Companies that had applied for registration with the U.K.'s financial watchdog that had yet to be either accepted or rejected had been placed on a temporary register allowing them to continue operating until March 31.
- In an update published Wednesday, the FCA said: "The Temporary Registration Regime (TRR) will close on 1 April, for all but for a small number of firms where it is strictly necessary to continue to have temporary registration."
- A dozen firms currently occupy the TRR, including companies such as Blockchain.com, Copper and Revolut.
- More than 100 crypto firms applied for registration with the FCA after the regulator became the anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism financing authority in the U.K. at the start of 2020.
- To date, 33 have been approved. More than 60 have been rejected or withdrew their applications. Crypto payments firm Wirex was the most recent firm to do so, withdrawing its application this week.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.