FLOW, the token of the Flow blockchain, surged over 35% in the wake of Meta Platform's (META) decision to leverage the blockchain to expand its non-fungible tokens (NFT) initiative.
- CoinDesk data shows FLOW rose 38% to $2.62 in the past 24 hours. Prices hit a high of $2.84 at point, the highest since May 31.
- The token ran into buying pressure after Meta announced the international expansion of its recently piloted digital collectibles feature on its photo and video-sharing platform Instagram. Meta declared support for NFTs created on the Flow blockchain. NFTs are digital tokens that represent ownership of physical or virtual assets.
- The social media giant also announced support for Coinbase (COIN) wallet and Dapper wallet as third-party wallets compatible for use as part of its expansion plan.
- FLOW's price rally is backed by a triple-digit jump in futures open interest across major exchanges, including Binance, according to data tracked by Coinglass. Open interest refers to the number of contracts traded but not squared off with an offsetting position.
- An increase in open interest means more money is being deployed in the FLOW market and validates the price rally.
- FLOW has topped its 100-day simple moving average (SMA), leaving both bitcoin (BTC) and ether (ETH) behind, which continue to trade below the key SMA. However, the bigger downtrend is still intact as seen in the chart below.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.