Venmo Credit Card Holders Can Now Trade Cash Back for Crypto
Customers can choose between bitcoin, ether, litecoin and bitcoin cash.
Venmo credit card customers can now convert their monthly cash back rewards to crypto, the unit of payments giant PayPal announced Tuesday.
- Venmo’s new “Cash Back to Crypto” feature will allow users to choose between bitcoin, ether, litecoin and bitcoin cash, the same four cryptocurrencies that are currently available on the Venmo app.
- Unlike Venmo’s normal fees for cryptocurrency purchases, which can range from $.50 to 2.3% of the transaction amount, the Cash Back to Crypto program will not have a transaction fee. Instead, a conversion spread is baked into the monthly transaction.
- Once the purchase is complete, customers will be able to either hold their crypto or sell it on the Venmo app. The program will not support transfers to external wallets.
- "We're excited to bring this new level of feature interconnectivity on the Venmo platform, linking our Venmo Credit Card and crypto experiences to provide another way for our customers to spend and manage their money with Venmo,” Darrell Esch, a general manager at Venmo and "head of checkout" at PayPal, said in a statement.
- The Cash Back to Crypto rollout begins Tuesday and will be available to all Venmo credit card holders in the coming weeks.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.