Jack Dorsey has hinted that Twitter will integrate the Bitcoin layer 2 payments Lightning Network.
- The Twitter founder had tweeted his appreciation for Lightning Network-powered messaging app Sphinx Chat, prompting a follower to ask for the network to be built into BlueSky or Twitter.
- "Only a matter of time," Dorsey replied.
- The Lightning Network is a layer atop the Bitcoin blockchain designed to enable faster and cheaper transactions by enabling user-generated channels for sending and receiving payments.
- Sphinx Chat is a wallet and encrypted messaging service that works over Lightning.
- It is unclear what an integration with Twitter would bring. One possibility is the use of micropayments, for which Twitter-enabled solutions have been developed.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.