Jack Dorsey has hinted that Twitter will integrate the Bitcoin layer 2 payments Lightning Network.
- The Twitter founder had tweeted his appreciation for Lightning Network-powered messaging app Sphinx Chat, prompting a follower to ask for the network to be built into BlueSky or Twitter.
- "Only a matter of time," Dorsey replied.
- The Lightning Network is a layer atop the Bitcoin blockchain designed to enable faster and cheaper transactions by enabling user-generated channels for sending and receiving payments.
- Sphinx Chat is a wallet and encrypted messaging service that works over Lightning.
- It is unclear what an integration with Twitter would bring. One possibility is the use of micropayments, for which Twitter-enabled solutions have been developed.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.