Bottlepay Brings Real-Time Bitcoin Payments to Twitter
Bottlepay users can tweet bitcoin and fiat currency to other users instantly, the firm says.
U.K.-based payments platform Bottlepay, which allows users to send bitcoin via Twitter, has announced its full launch after leaving beta mode.
- Users can tweet, for example, "@bottlepay send 1,000 sats to @twitteruser," instantly sending this amount of the cryptocurrency from one wallet to another.
- Built with the Lightning Network, Bottlepay is aiming to disrupt the payments space by enabling real-time cross-border transfers of both fiat money and cryptocurrencies.
- Besides Twitter, Bottlepay plans on extending its service to Reddit, Discord, Twitch, Telegram and Mastodon in the coming months.
- Support for more fiat currencies will also be made available, with the euro next in line alongside the existing U.K. pound option.
- The beta version of its app (iOS and Android) was first launched in February, with users sending payments totaling over £1.7 million (around $2.4 million) since then.
- Bottlepay announced netting £11 million ($15.4 million) on Feb. 23 in a seed funding round led by U.K. fund manager Alan Howard, "present and former" Goldman Sachs partners and digital assets firm NYDIG.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.