Unchained Capital, a bitcoin financial services firm, raised $25 million in Series A funding led by crypto-asset management heavyweight NYDIG and its parent company, Stone Ridge Holdings.
- Existing investors including Ecliptic Capital, Starting Line and TVP Bitcoin Venture Fund also participated in the equity round, according to an announcement Friday.
- NYDIG, in addition to the investment, made an incremental lending commitment of $100 million, for a total $150 million.
- Unchained focuses solely on bitcoin.
- "Historically, there has been a lack of investment in bitcoin-dedicated infrastructure, often in favor of platforms supporting many digital currencies, but Unchained Capital expects this raise to be the first of a growing trend of bitcoin-only businesses attracting capital investment at the scale which has long been deserved," Parker Lewis, head of business development at Unchained, said.
- Unchained and NYDIG also plan to offer collaborative custody services in which both hold private keys with the intention of encouraging more financial institutions to do the same.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.