Facebook-Led Diem Could Become White-Label CBDC Provider: Citi Report
The Diem white paper suggests the company would be open to discussions with central banks about providing this service.
Diem could become a white label central bank digital currency (CBDC) provider, according to Citi’s “Future of Money” report, published Thursday.
- The stablecoin project could provide an infrastructure layer on top of that provided by the public sector via CBDCs, the report suggested.
- The Diem white paperhttps://www.diem.com/en-us/white-paper/ made it clear that it is "open to having a discussion with any central bank [that] would be interested in adding [its] currency as a stablecoin on [Diem's] network,” according to Citi.
- This could provide greater functionality and features in the payments sphere, thus driving greater adoption of CBDCs by individuals and companies.
- The much-maligned Diem project has experienced intense scrutiny since it was announced by Facebook under the name Libra in 2019. Its name was changed to Diem last year in an attempt to distance itself from this association.
- The backlash saw a number of the project's founding partners pull out, including PayPal, Visa, Mastercard, Stripe and Vodafone.
- It has been argued that interest among central banks to launching digital currencies was at least partly triggered by their consternation over the threat to the financial system posed by a stablecoin operated by Facebook.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.