Bank of England and HM Treasury Launch Taskforce for UK CBDC
This is the first sign the Bank of England exploring the launch of a CBDC following the release of a discussion paper in March 2020.
The Bank of England and HM Treasury have announced the launch of a taskforce to explore a potential U.K. central bank digital currency (CBDC).
- The U.K. central bank and government have not yet decided whether to launch a CBDC, so will use the taskforce to explore the practicalities of doing so, according to an announcement Monday.
- The Bank of England stated that a CBDC would not replace cash and bank deposits but exist alongside them.
- As part of the task force, two forums will be established, one focusing on engaging senior stakeholders and the other to gather input from the technology sector.
- Thus far, the Bank of England’s work on a CBDC has been limited to a discussion paper published in March 2020, so this is the first sign of any practical exploration taking place.
- The Treasury also announced it would explore how blockchain can improve financial market infrastructure in a new sandbox (a testing environment used to explore the application of certain technology in a safe and secure way). This will be delivered alongside the Bank of England and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.