A Digital Euro Must Protect Privacy, ECB Public Survey Reveals
Privacy is the number one thing Europeans want in a digital euro.
Privacy is the number one thing Europeans want in a digital euro, according to the results of a survey by the European Central Bank (ECB).
- In an announcement on Wednesday, the ECB said it had received 8,200 replies to its requests for public comment, mostly from European citizens and business professionals, with many respondents sharing technical suggestions on the digital euro.
- While 43% of respondents said privacy is the most important feature of a digital euro, fewer than one in 10 showed support for full anonymity.
- The second-most important issue was security, flagged by 18% of respondents. After that, 11% said it was important that the digital euro could be used as a form of payment across the eurozone; 9% want to ensure that there’s no added cost for using a digital euro; and 8% said offline usability is important.
- “We will do our best to ensure that a digital euro meets the expectations of citizens highlighted in the public consultation,” said Fablo Panetta, a membrer of the ECB's executive board.
- The digital euro is expected to be rolled out within four years if policymakers give the project the green light this summer, ECB President Christine Lagarde told Bloomberg in an interview in March.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.