DeFi Divorce: Yearn Cancels Tie-Up With Cover Protocol
Yearn added that yVault depositors who have purchased Cover protection will be unaffected.
Decentralized finance (DeFi) portal Yearn Finance announced via Twitter that it is ending its previously announced merger with DeFi market coverage provider Cover Protocol.
- Yearn tweeted Friday that it has decided to end its merger process with Cover Protocol, a peer-to-peer, decentralized insurance marketplace and that both protocols will continue to operate independently. No reason was given for the breakup.
- Andre Cronje of Yearn subsequently expressed his disappointment in a now-deleted tweet, saying: "I personally find it sad. I had very high regard, trust, and faith in the Cover team. Lesson learned. Won't trust them again."
- Yearn added that yVault depositors who have purchased Cover protection will be unaffected.
- Plans for the merger were announced in November, with the aim of Cover becoming Yearn's backstop coverage provider for its vaults and offering users a reduced risk product.
- Cover also suffered an exploit in December, when a "white hat" hacker tricked the protocol into minting 40 quintillion of its native tokens, which the hacker cashed out before subsequently returning them.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.