Bitcoin Miner Riot Blockchain Names Jason Les CEO
Les has served as the board's director since 2017.
Nasdaq-listed mining company Riot Blockchainhttps://hashrateindex.com/stocks/riot (RIOT) has named Jason Les as its new CEO after serving as as independent director on Riot's board since 2017.
- Indeed, Riot has been aggressively expanding its mining capacity and market value, passing $1 billion in late December 2020. The company now has a total market value of over $2.5 billion.
- Les replaces Jeff McGonegal who has served as Riot's CFO since 2003, well before the company pivoted to bitcoin mining. Since 2019, McGonegal also held dual roles as CEO and CFO. With the appointment of Les, McGonegal will return to serving only as CFO.
- Les will remain on Riot's board. The company also named Hannah Cho as a new independent board member.
- Quarterly earnings for the mining company are expected by March 31.
- Riot shares have gained over 140% already in 2021, currently trading just above $40. Bitcoin rallied roughly 50% over the same period.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.