Nasdaq-listed bitcoin mining company Riot Blockchain (RIOT)https://hashrateindex.com/stocks/riot reached a $1.08 billion market capitalization Monday after surging nearly 13% in early trading hours.
- Shares of the Castle Rock, Colo.-based firm have gained over 1,250% in 2020, currently trading hands above $16.
- Over the same period, bitcoin gained nearly 280%.
- Riot has issued nearly 17 million shares since November, with a total of 67.5 million shares outstanding, according to data collected by ycharts.com.
- Riot shares opened Monday nearly 18% higher than the Thursday close on Christmas Eve.
- Riot pivoted its business model from biotech to bitcoin mining in October 2017 when the company's value was less than $50 million.
- Riot did not immediately respond to a comment request from CoinDesk.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.