Bitcoin Mining Company Riot Blockchain Passes $1B in Market Cap
Riot's value was less than $50 million when it started mining bitcoin three years ago.
Nasdaq-listed bitcoin mining company Riot Blockchain (RIOT)https://hashrateindex.com/stocks/riot reached a $1.08 billion market capitalization Monday after surging nearly 13% in early trading hours.
- Shares of the Castle Rock, Colo.-based firm have gained over 1,250% in 2020, currently trading hands above $16.
- Over the same period, bitcoin gained nearly 280%.
- Riot has issued nearly 17 million shares since November, with a total of 67.5 million shares outstanding, according to data collected by ycharts.com.
- Riot has aggressively expanded the size and sophistication of its mining operations in 2020, including a planned pilot project in Texas to test water immersion cooling technology in addition to purchasing over 31,000 new ASIC mining machines this year, per CoinDesk's prior reporting.
- Riot shares opened Monday nearly 18% higher than the Thursday close on Christmas Eve.
- Riot pivoted its business model from biotech to bitcoin mining in October 2017 when the company's value was less than $50 million.
- Riot did not immediately respond to a comment request from CoinDesk.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.