Switzerland-based investment product provider 21Shares is launching the world’s first exchange-traded product (ETP) for the polkadot cryptocurrency.
- 21Shares, formerly known as Amun, said Tuesday the Polkadot ETP (ticker: PDOT) will list on the Swiss SIX Exchange on Feb. 4.
- The firm said the listing came about because it wanted to stay "ahead of the curve" amid a surge in interest for the cryptocurrency asset class.
- Founded by Ethereum co-founder Gavin Wood, Polkadot is a blockchain network that supports various interconnected sub-chains called parachains.
- Polkadot market capitalization is currently around $15 billion, putting DOT at fifth place in the cryptocurrency rankings, according to CoinMarketCap.
- “European investors are approaching us to launch new products based on other key crypto assets to enable them easy access without the need of a private key or unregulated wallets and exchanges,” said Hany Rashwan, CEO 21Shares AG.
- In the next three months, 21Shares aims to add more ETPs, as well as new European exchange listings.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.