Nasdaq-listed cryptocurrency mining firm Marathon Patent Group (MARA)https://hashrateindex.com/stocks/mara reached a total market value of $1 billion as its shares surged Wednesday to the highest in more than three years, over $17.
- Shares of the Las Vegas-based company have soared over 1,700% in the past 12 months. Bitcoin gained roughly 330% over the same period.
- Marathon has been mining some cryptocurrency since at least 2016, but considerably increased its focus on mining operations in the past few years. At the cryptocurrency market's prior peak in late 2017, Marathon barely had a $50 million market capitalization.
- In an email to CoinDesk, CEO Merrick Okamoto said the milestone is "a very special moment for our company."
- "Many of our shareholders stuck with us through the difficult times in our industry," Okamoto said. "We feel honored that those who stayed on this journey are now reaping this financial reward for their patience and confidence in our company.”
- The company also completed a $200 million capital raise Monday and announced a "clean block" mining pool with DMG Blockchain Solutions "that adheres to the Office of Foreign Asset Control’s (OFAC) compliance standards and reduces the risk of mining blocks that include transactions linked to nefarious activities," per a release.
- Bitcoin's sustained rally over the past year has benefited publicly traded mining companies across the board, with the gains of nearly all of their shares outperforming the leading cryptocurrency, per CoinDesk's prior reporting.
Update (Jan. 6, 21:21 UTC): Updated with a statement from Marathon.
CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk offers all employees above a certain salary threshold, including journalists, stock options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.