$14K: Bitcoin Briefly Hits Highest Level Since January 2018
Bitcoin has carved out a 33-month high, showing resilience amid growing instability in the traditional markets.
Bitcoin has soared to a 33-month high above $14,000, showing resilience amid growing instability in the traditional markets.
- The top cryptocurrency by market value reached $14,047 around 10:05 UTC on Saturday – the highest level since January 2018, according to CoinDesk's Bitcoin Price Index.
- Earlier this week, bitcoin narrowly missed breaching the June 2019 high of $13,880 and faced selling pressure as global stock markets registered sharp losses as concerns over the resurgent coronavirus spiked.
- However, the downside was restricted to above $13,000 even as classic haven assets like gold fell to one-month lows near $1,860 amid the dollar strength.
- Stocks have just seen both their worst week and month since March.
- Bitcoin's defense of $13,000 and a quick rise to 33-month highs is perhaps not surprising.
- Market sentiment has been buoyed by several public companies' recent disclosures of bitcoin treasury investments.
- "Bitcoin currently has a very strong underlying bid from institutions," trader and analyst Nick Cote told CoinDesk.
- If the cryptocurrency manages to establish a foothold above the June 2019 high of $13,880, the focus would shift to the daily chart resistance range at $15,800–$16,000.
- At press time, bitcoin had dropped back to $13,993, but is still up over 25% for October, the biggest monthly rise since April.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.