Crypto derivatives exchange Deribit has listed bitcoin options contracts that allow traders to bet on a potential price rally to $40,000 next year.
- Options at a $40,000 strike price expiring in March 2021 and June 2021 went live on Deribit early on Friday, as noted by research firm Skew.
- In effect, the new contracts will allow market participants to express a long-term bullish view on bitcoin.
- They will appeal to traders expecting a price rally to above $40,000 on or before the above expiries.
- Options are derivative contracts that give the buyer the right, but not the obligation, to buy (call) or sell (put) an underlying asset at a predetermined price on or before a specific date.
- So far today, Deribit, the world's largest crypto options exchange by trading volume, hasn't registered any activity for the $40,000 options.
- Bitcoin is currently trading at $13,290, representing an 85% gain on a year-to-date basis.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.