An army of Web 3.0 educators, developers and platform boosters can now secure funding from Blockstack’s nonprofit arm – so long as their blockchain projects focus on the Stacks ecosystem.
- Under the Stacks Open Internet Foundation's beta grant program, projects will get between $1,000 and $5,000 to support their visions for Stacks blockchain tools, initiatives, evangelism and development.
- Funding these relatively small-dollar projects will help grow Stacks' community and facilitate its mission of supporting a user-owned internet, said Brittany Laughlin, the nonprofit's chief.
- Stacks plans to switch over to STX payouts just as soon as the blockchain upgrade called Stacks 2.0 goes live, Laughlin said.
- Her foundation has no shortage of the token. Last month Blockstack PBC turned 100 million STX tokens (worth $21.5 million at press time) over to Stacks, along with intellectual property rights to certain patented Blockstack technologies.
- Laughlin said Stacks will pour most of its token fortune into "grants and ecosystem development."
- "At least 30 million STX are dedicated to fund application development, as they were set aside for App Mining's next evolution, which will likely be awarded in the form of app development grants," she said.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.