Chainlink Up Nearly 1,000% Since 'Black Thursday' Crash
Chainlink's LINK token has surged nearly 1,000% over the past five months, and some are worried the market is beginning to overheat.
The rally in data oracle coin chainlink means it is now up nearly 1,000% from where it was when markets tumbled during the Black Thursday sell-off.
- After bottoming at a near-year low of $1.79 on March 17, LINK tokens have been within a few cents of the $20 boundary in the past few days.
- CoinGecko data shows LINK hit $19.54 in the past 24 hours, or 983% above its mid-March price. It hit its all-time high of $19.84 on Sunday.
- The price rise has been accompanied by a surge in investor enthusiasm: Searches for chainlink on Google are at an all-time high and its trading volumes have soared past that of bitcoin's.
- Media owner and latter-day trader David Portnoy has spurred the hype further after reportedly buying $50,000 worth of LINK at the weekend.
- Some are concerned. Mati Greenspan, the founder of analyst firm Quantitative Economics, told CoinDesk the euphoria surrounding Chainlink was a worrying sign some investors may be getting in over their heads.
- "Kids bragging on social media about getting their parents' and grandparents' retirement funds into this [is] usually a good sign that the top is near," he said.
- At press time, LINK tokens were down 10%, trading just above $17.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.