A leading economist shares why crisis-time central bank policies are saving zombie companies while hurting small businesses and startups.
Today on the Brief:
- Social media apps get caught in geopolitical tensions
- Pitchforks around the Paycheck Protection Program
- Brazil blocks Binance
Our main discussion is with Daniel Lacalle. Daniel is chief economist at Tressis and is the author of numerous books including “Life in the Financial Markets,” “Escape from the Central Bank Trap” and his most recent, “Freedom or Equality.” He has been named one of the 100 most influential economists in the world by Richtopia.
In this conversation, he and NLW discuss:
- Why the recovery will likely be “L” shaped and uneven, not “V” shaped
- Why the central bank driven “bailout of everything” undermines capitalism and promotes zombie companies that can’t service their debts
- Why zombie companies crowd out space for startups and small businesses
- How government programs can incentivize relationships with government over strong business practices
- How the current economic crisis could become a banking crisis
Find our guest online:
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.