Ripple's XRP cryptocurrency has completed the round trip at press time.
The ripple-U.S. dollar (XRP/USD) exchange rate jumped to a high of $0.23 at 01:10 UTC today, only to fall back to the session's opening price of $0.21. As per CoinMarketCap, the cryptocurrency is trading at $0.20 and has gained 10.34 percent in the last 24 hours.
A closer look at the charts, however, indicates the rally today may have a more certain cause: Korean desks offering XRP/KRW pairs. Trading volumes on Bithumb, one of the largest exchanges in South Korea, have gone up by 45 percent in the last 24 hours.
Volumes on exchanges offering XRP/BTC pairs have increased as well.
That said, the volume pop was short lived as market attention shifted back to bitcoin. Still, the price action analysis in XRP favors the bulls.
The above chart shows:
- The sell-off from the post-Swell event high of $0.30 has run out of steam around 0.18, courtesy of strong rebound from sub-$0.18 levels seen yesterday.
- The relative strength index (RSI) seems to have found a bottom around 27.00 levels.
- XRP has formed a rounded-bottom pattern over the last four months.
- A convincing move above the 50-day moving average (MA) level of $0.2107 would open doors for $0.2652 (Aug. 31 high) and $0.30 (Oct. 16 high).
- On the downside, only a break below the previous day's low of $0.1742 would revive the post-Swell sell-off and could yield a drop to $0.15 levels.
Binoculars image via Shutterstock
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.