Goldman Sachs Makes Its First Bitcoin-Backed Loan
The global investment bank allowed a borrower to use the cryptocurrency as collateral for a cash loan.
Goldman Sachs (GS) has offered its first bitcoin-backed loan in the latest sign that Wall Street is moving further into crypto. Bloomberg first reported on the news.
- Goldman’s secured lending facility allowed a borrower to use bitcoin (BTC) as collateral for a cash loan.
- "We recently extended a secured lending facility where we lent fiat collateralized on BTC; BTC being owned by the borrower," a Goldman spokeswoman told CoinDesk in an email. "The interesting piece for us was the structure and the 24-7-365 day risk management."
- Goldman, which has a dedicated digital assets team, traded its first over-the-counter bitcoin options to Galaxy Digital last month.
- Goldman is following in the footsteps of other traditional finance giants moving further into crypto. Last month, Cowen launched a digital assets unit and BlackRock (BLK) participated in the $400 million funding round for USDC stablecoin creator Circle.
- Earlier Thursday, news broke that private equity investment behemoth Apollo Global Management had hired former JPMorgan (JPM) executive Christine Moy to serve as its first head of digital assets strategy.
UPDATE (April 28, 21:33 UTC): Updated sourcing and added comments from Goldman Sachs.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.