Goldman Sachs Conducts First Over-the-Counter Crypto Trade With Galaxy
Michael Novogratz's Galaxy says it's building on the relationship with Goldman as more Wall Street clients seek to push into cryptocurrency trading.
Goldman Sachs, the Wall Street heavyweight, completed an over-the-counter (OTC) cryptocurrency-related trade with the digital-asset financial company Galaxy Digital, in a transaction that the firms are characterizing as a first.
- New York-based Galaxy disclosed the trade in a press release on Monday. The transaction was described in the statement as a bitcoin (BTC) non-deliverable option, a type of cash-settled cryptocurrency options trade.
- "This marks the first OTC crypto transaction by a major bank in the U.S. as Goldman Sachs continues expanding its cryptocurrency offerings, demonstrating the continued maturation and adoption of digital assets by banking institutions," Galaxy said.
- The deal represents the continuation of Galaxy's relationship with Goldman Sachs, according to the statement.
- In March of last year, CoinDesk reported that Goldman Sachs reopened its crypto trading desk after a three-year hiatus, under growing demand from institutional clients.
- Last June, Galaxy announced that it would serve as Goldman's liquidity provider for bitcoin futures block trades on the CME exchange.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.