LeBron James Teams With Crypto.com to Bring Digital Education to Students
The multiyear partnership will include teaching blockchain technology to inner-city schoolchildren.
NBA superstar LeBron James has partnered with crypto exchange Crypto.com to support educational and workforce development opportunities focused on Web 3, according to Crypto.com.
- Part of the program involves teaching blockchain technology to inner-city schoolchildren.
- “I want to ensure that communities like the one I come from are not left behind,” James said in a statement. “Blockchain technology is revolutionizing our economy, sports and entertainment, the art world, and how we engage with one another.”
- James’ hometown Akron Beacon Journal says students in the I Promise program will learn about blockchain technology and related career fields from experts provided by Crypto.com.
- Crypto.com, of course, purchased the naming rights to the Staples Center – home to James’ Los Angeles Lakers – late last year for a reported $700 million. That venue is now named Crypto.com Arena.
- Many sports stars, such as Steph Curry and Tom Brady, have entered into sponsorship deals with crypto firms, but the partnership is believed to be James’ first major deal with a crypto company.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.