LA’s Iconic Staples Center to Be Renamed Crypto.com Arena
The naming deal is one of the biggest in sports history, according to the L.A. Times.
The Staples Center arena in Los Angeles, known to pro basketball fans as “The House That Kobe Built,” will be renamed Crypto.com Arena on Christmas day, the arena announced.
- The Singapore-based crypto exchange bought the naming rights from AEG for 20 years, for $700 million, the L.A. Times reported, citing sources familiar with the matter.
- The $700 million figure makes it one of the largest naming rights deals in sports history, according to the newspaper. An AEG spokesperson declined to comment on the figure.
- The multi-purpose arena will reveal the new branding on Dec. 25, when the Los Angeles Lakers host the Brooklyn Nets. All Staples Center external signs will be changed to the new name by June 2022.
- Crypto.com will also be an official partner of the Los Angeles Lakers and pro hockey’s LA Kings under the agreement.
- The crypto exchange’s logo already adorns the jerseys of the National Basketball Association Philadelphia 76ers team.
- AEG is the sports and entertainment company that owns and operates the Staples Center, as well as other major sports and music venues like The O2 in London and Mercedes Platz in Berlin.
UPDATE (Nov. 17, 08:00 UTC): Adds AEG comment in second paragraph.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.