Hedge fund manager Brevan Howard is continuing to ramp up its crypto business, hiring Jump Capital partner Peter Johnson as a portfolio manager and Gemini Trust’s former head of security Cem Paya, according to a Bloomberg report.
- Brevan Howard is gearing up for direct investments in crypto and is forming a crypto-focused division called BH Digital.
- A spokesperson confirmed the hires but was unable to provide additional information.
- In September, the firm announced Colleen Sullivan, a co-founder and former CEO of CMT Digital, will lead its investments in crypto.
- The new crypto business so far has more than 30 employees and 12 portfolio managers, Bloomberg reported, citing a person familiar with the matter.
- In April, it was reported the European hedge fund was planning to allocate up to 1.5% of its main fund (worth $5.6 billion at the time) to direct exposure in cryptocurrency.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.