Hedge Fund Behind One River Digital to Invest Part of $5.6B Fund in Crypto: Report
Macro fund manager Brevan Howard plans to invest up to 1.5% of its main fund in cryptocurrencies, according to a story in Bloomberg.
Brevan Howard Asset Management, the macro investment firm and part-owner of cryptocurrency hedge fund One River Digital, is itself gearing up for direct investments in crypto, according to Bloomberg.
- The European fund manager will invest up to 1.5% of its main fund (worth $5.6 billion at press time) in undisclosed cryptos, according to unnamed sources cited by Bloomberg.
- The macro fund has made multiple bets in crypto companies over the years but shied away from direct exposure until now.
- Their investment in cryptocurrencies continues a trend of storied investment managers rapidly warming up to bitcoin and its smaller brethren.
- Bloomberg said the digital asset investments will be "overseen" by executives at crypto venture firm Distributed Global, of which Brevan Howard is an investor.
- It is not clear if One River Digital, the institutional crypto firm whose parent company is also partly owned by Brevan Howard, is participating.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.