Marathon Digital (Nasdaq: MARA) agreed to buy 78,000 Antminer S19 XP bitcoin miners from Bitmain for $879.1 million, the company announced Wednesday in an SEC filing.
- The Las Vegas-based miner said 13,000 machines will be delivered each month from July to December 2022.
- The deal was announced a week ago without specifying a cost or the number of machines purchased but calling it a “record number” of bitcoin miners.
- Payment will also be staggered. Marathon said it will pay 35% of the total within two days of execution of the purchase contract. It will pay a further 35% of each shipment price six months before the shipment is made and the balance at least one month prior to shipment.
- Marathon Digital expects to have 199,000 operational miners generating 23.3 exahashes per second by early 2023, a 600% increase from current levels, as previously reported by CoinDesk.
- In 2021, Marathon Digital made large purchases of miners, and in October secured a $100 million revolving line of credit with Silvergate Bank in bitcoin and U.S. dollars to go toward its mining operations and new equipment.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.