MGA Entertainment is launching a non-fungible token (NFT) collection that accompanies in-store purchases of its L.O.L. Surprise! brand trading cards, the company announced Tuesday.
- The release is in partnership with Ioconic, an NFT company that the toy brand inked a deal with in October.
- The company is releasing 10 million packs of cards in 20,000 retail outlets worldwide, including Walmart, Target and Walgreens in the U.S., according to a press release.
- Each pack of cards has its own QR code that comes with “digital trading cards, tokens, NFTs or a digital version of their physical collectible” that can be instantly redeemed.
- L.O.L. Surprise! has done over $25 billion in retail sales for privately held MGA, according to a press release.
- MGA is tapping Polygon’s layer 2 blockchain to host the NFT collection.
- “Polygon is delighted to be supporting the fastest-growing global toy doll brand, L.O.L. Surprise!, as they move these beloved toys on-chain with the help of Ioconic,” Polygon said in a press release. “L.O.L. Surprise! NFTs will provide an innovative way to increase fan engagement and open up exciting new opportunities for the L.O.L. Surprise! dolls phenomenon to tap into a new digital domain.”
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.