MGA Entertainment is launching a non-fungible token (NFT) collection that accompanies in-store purchases of its L.O.L. Surprise! brand trading cards, the company announced Tuesday.
- The release is in partnership with Ioconic, an NFT company that the toy brand inked a deal with in October.
- The company is releasing 10 million packs of cards in 20,000 retail outlets worldwide, including Walmart, Target and Walgreens in the U.S., according to a press release.
- Each pack of cards has its own QR code that comes with “digital trading cards, tokens, NFTs or a digital version of their physical collectible” that can be instantly redeemed.
- L.O.L. Surprise! has done over $25 billion in retail sales for privately held MGA, according to a press release.
- MGA is tapping Polygon’s layer 2 blockchain to host the NFT collection.
- “Polygon is delighted to be supporting the fastest-growing global toy doll brand, L.O.L. Surprise!, as they move these beloved toys on-chain with the help of Ioconic,” Polygon said in a press release. “L.O.L. Surprise! NFTs will provide an innovative way to increase fan engagement and open up exciting new opportunities for the L.O.L. Surprise! dolls phenomenon to tap into a new digital domain.”
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.