MGA Entertainment, makers of the top-selling L.O.L. Surprise! dolls, is partnering with Ioconic, a company that helps bring brands into the non-fungible token (NFT) industry, to bring L.O.L. Surprise! to the blockchain in the fourth quarter.
- L.O.L. Surprise! has amassed $25 billion in retail sales for the privately-held MGA, according to a press release.
- Ioconic is helping the brand build out its own marketplace where users can mint, buy and sell NFTs that will be a part of the toy property’s soon-to-be released digital trading card game.
- Fans of the brand’s popular dolls will also be able to connect their physical purchases to the blockchain via QR codes and display their collection digitally.
- “By expanding into the exciting NFT space, we hope to better engage with our customers and deliver serious value,” said Isaac Larian, CEO and founder of MGA Entertainment.
- Ioconic CEO Jamie Lewis noted that the company is working on “measures to prevent overspending and super stringent security” to create a safe environment for L.O.L.’s young fan base.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.