Hive Blockchain Posts Record Revenue in Q2 on Higher Crypto Prices
The crypto miner’s fiscal Q2 earnings per share rose 433% from the same quarter last year.
Canadian crypto miner Hive Blockchain reported record revenue of US$52.6 million in its fiscal second quarter, up 305% from the same period last year, according to a statement.
- The company said the increase in revenue was mainly due to a rise in cryptocurrency prices, the increased production of bitcoin as a result of Hive’s purchase of Quebec and Atlantic facilities and the acquisition of miners for those facilities.
- The gross mining margin was 86% in the fiscal second quarter, compared to 71% in the same period last year.
- Second-quarter earnings per share rose 433%, to 16 cents (U.S.) versus 3 cents last year, mainly due to the improvement in gross mining margin, higher cryptocurrency prices, gains on the sale of digital currencies, and foreign exchange.
- The miner said that at quarter end it held 1,116 bitcoin, worth US$48.4 million and 25,154 ether, worth $74.7 million.
- Hive said it is nearing completion of its two data centers in New Brunswick, Canada.
- The shares of the miner were down 4.7% in early U.S. trading as prices for bitcoin and ether tumbled more than 5% on Tuesday.
- Hive is hosting a conference call at 9:30 a.m. ET. CoinDesk will update this story with any pertinent information from the call.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.