Hive Blockchain Outperforms Crypto Miners as Ether Reaches All-Time High
Shares of the diversified crypto miner outperformed peers as ether hit a new record.
Hive Blockchain, which is among the largest publicly traded crypto miners of ether, outperformed its peers after the price of the native token of Ethereum, climbed to a record.
- Hive (NASDAQ: HIVE) shares rose almost 3% at 10 a.m. in New York, while its peers, which predominantly mine bitcoin, were mostly flat to negative on Friday.
- Among the publicly traded companies, the Canadian miner is most exposed to ether mining and also mines ethereum classic and bitcoin.
- Hive had about $63 million of ether, which is 77% of the digital currency holdings on its balance sheet, according to a June 30 quarterly filing. It also held $19 million of bitcoin, or 23% of its total holdings.
- However, the miner said on Friday that it’s investing more in bitcoin mining and ordered another 6,500 Avalon bitcoin mining machines from manufacturer Canaan.
- This new order will push Hive’s bitcoin mining capacity to 2 exahash per second by December and 3 EH/s by March 2022.
- Hive has gained about 92% this year, while ether has surged about 494% and bitcoin about 108%.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.