21Shares Crypto ETP Director Laurent Kssis Departs
Laurent Kssis oversaw the firm’s rapid expansion into crypto-linked investment products.
21Shares Managing Director Laurent Kssis has left the crypto exchange-traded product (ETP) issuer after two years on the job.
- Since joining the firm in July 2019 (when it was still called Amun), Kssis helped to launch a number of crypto ETPs across several European stock exchanges.
- The products provide exposure to BTC, ETH, BCH, ADA, XLM, DOT and S, allowing investors to ride the market without holding the underlying crypto asset.
- According to a person with knowledge of the situation who wished to remain anonymous, when Kssis joined the company, assets under management (AUM) were at $30 million. The firm’s AUM surpassed $100 million last year, and have since skyrocketed to more than $1.85 billion.
- The source said the whopping growth can be attributed to the range of products offered and bitcoin’s price rally.
- Kssis has held a number of roles across the exchange-traded fund (ETF) sector in his 18-year career. He has worked at Standard & Poor’s, State Street and XBT Provider, a CoinShares subsidiary.
- A request for comment sent to 21Shares wasn’t returned by press time. Kssis declined to comment.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.