La Liga Becomes First Top Soccer League to Offer NFTs of All Players
Fans will be able to trade and play fantasy tournaments with NFTs representing players from the top 20 clubs in Spain.
Spain’s La Liga has become the first of Europe’s top soccer leagues to offer non-fungible tokens (NFTs) of all its players.
- A partnership with French digital soccer collectibles platform Sorare will allow fans to trade and play fantasy tournaments with NFTs representing players from the 20 biggest clubs in Spain, including Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atlético Madrid.
- The collaboration is the first such deal Sorare has struck with one of the top European soccer leagues, according to an announcement Thursday.
- Sorare plans to strike similar deals with the top 20 leagues worldwide by the end of 2022.
- A number of the world’s elite individual teams already have NFTs on the platform, including Bayern Munich, Juventus and Liverpool.
- The platform’s game allows users to build a team made up of five players represented by NFTs, which they enter in various fantasy football tournaments to earn prizes based on the players’ real-life performances.
- Sorare was reportedly set to receive $532 million in funding in June, which would value the platform at over $3.8 billion.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.