Blockchain-Based Fantasy Soccer Platform Sorare to Raise $532M in Funding: Report
The NFT company’s valuation could exceed $3.8 billion, according to unnamed sources mentioned in a Business Insider article.
Digital soccer collectibles platform Sorare is expected to announce that it will receive $532 million in funding, according to a Business Insider report Wednesday.
- The Paris-based company’s valuation could exceed $3.8 billion, the article said, based on comments from three unnamed sources. The amount would represent the largest capital raise in the history of France's technology sector, according to the story.
- Japanese investment firm SoftBank is prepared to lead the funding round and Atomico, a U.K.-based venture firm, will also take part.
- Sorare raised $50 million in Series A funding round in February that was led by venture capital firm Benchmark and that included investments from Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian, former soccer stars Rio Ferdinand and Oliver Bierhoff, and current standouts Gerard Pique and Antoine Griezmann.
- A number of Europe’s most powerful club teams, including Bayern Munich, Juventus, Real Madrid and Liverpool have launched non-fungible tokens (NFTs) through the platform.
- Asked by CoinDesk Wednesday to confirm the report, Sorare said that it did not have “anything to announce.”
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.