Italian soccer club AS Roma has signed a three-year partnership worth €36 million ($42 million) with blockchain fintech Zytara Labs.
- The Serie A team's famous yellow and red shirts will bear the branding of the DigitalBits blockchain, whose DigitalBits Foundation is supporting the partnership.
- Zytara Labs builds products and platforms on blockchain protocols such as DigitalBits and Ethereum for the creation and sale of non-fungible tokens (NFTs).
- Roma and Zytara Labs will use the DigitalBits blockchain to create digital player cards and other collectibles as NFTs and integrate the protocol's native token XDB as a new purchasing method.
- I Giallorossi (the Yellow and Reds) is one of the most famous teams in Italy, along with Turin-based Juventus and the two Milan clubs AC Milan and Inter Milan. In May, Roma named Jose Mourinho as its head coach.
- The partnership probably represents the most notable sponsorship deal to date between a soccer club and blockchain or crypto-centric firm.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.