Premier League soccer team Watford FC has signed a multiyear sponsorship deal with crypto sports betting platform and casino Stake.com.
- The company will become the team's principal shirt sponsor from the start of the 2021/22 season, which kicks off Aug. 14, according to an announcement Thursday.
- Terms of the deal were not disclosed, and Watford FC didn't respond to CoinDesk's request for more information by press time.
- Stake.com plans to commemorate the partnership with a 10 million DOGE ($1.9 million) giveaway on its international platform.
- The platform is also the official betting partner for mixed martial arts competition the Ultimate Fighting Championship in its Latin American and Asian markets.
- Stake.com is not available now to U.K. users, but it plans to change that in the near future with a partnership with gambling technology provider Aspire Global
- The partnership continues Watford's association with crypto-related firms, following its prior sponsorship deal Sportsbet.io.
CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk offers all employees above a certain salary threshold, including journalists, stock options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.