Bottlepay, a Payments Startup That Lets You Send Bitcoin on Social Media, Raises $15M
The payments platform is built with the Lightning Network scaling solution, which enables cheaper and faster bitcoin transactions.
Bitcoin payments platform Bottlepay announced Tuesday it has secured £11 million (nearly $15.5 million) in a seed funding round.
- Participants in the round included Alan Howard, founder of hedge fund manager Brevan Howard; "present and former" Goldman Sachs partners; venture capital firm FinTech Collective; digital assets firm NYDIG; and entrepreneur Phil Doye.
- Bottlepay said the cash injection will be used to expand its team by 60%, develop the platform’s functionality and increase its international reach.
- Bottlepay says it aims to disrupt the payments space with an app offering international payments in bitcoin and fiat currencies in real time. Users can also make micropayments of "as little as a penny" and send funds via messages on Twitter, Reddit, Discord.
- The app, launched on Feb. 10, is built with the Lightning Network scaling solution, which enables cheaper and faster bitcoin transactions.
- “Raising £11 million and reaching a post-money valuation of £51 million [$71 million] is a testament to the scale of Bottlepay’s ambition, and an illustration of the effort and resources invested to build and design a revolutionary payments infrastructure of this magnitude,” said Bottlepay CEO Mark Webster.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.