The Ethereum Merge Has an Official Kick-Off Date
The Bellatrix upgrade, which begins the final countdown, is set to activate on Sept. 6. The Merge itself will be completed at some point Sept. 10-20.
The Ethereum Foundation disclosed Wednesday the official parameters for the long-awaited Merge blockchain upgrade to a proof-of-stake consensus mechanism.
Proof-of-stake is a method of maintaining integrity in a blockchain, ensuring users of a cryptocurrency can’t mint coins they didn’t earn. It is considered to be more energy efficient than Ethereum's current proof-of-work system.
- The Bellatrix upgrade will activate on the Beacon Chain on Sept. 6. This upgrade is responsible for setting the rest of the Merge process in motion.
- The activation is scheduled for epoch 144896 on the Beacon Chain, which should occur at around 11:34:47 UTC.
- After this, the Terminal Total Difficulty (TTD) value triggering the Merge will be 58,750,000,000,000,000,000,000. That TTD expected to be reached somewhere between Sept. 10 and Sept. 20. The Ethereum developers have hinted in past calls they are aiming for Sept. 15-16.
- During this period, the difficulty level will increase to the point where, eventually, proof-of-work crypto mining will no longer be possible.
- When TTD reaches 58,750,000,000,000,000,000,000, the network will merge its Execution layer with the new Consensus layer and transition to the new proof-of-stake consensus protocol.
Update: August 24, 2022 19:07 UTC: Adds timeline graphic of updates around the Merge.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.