Multiple Indian political and governmental entities had their Twitter (TWTR) accounts compromised over the past three days, with non-fungible token-related content posted on their feeds.
- The list includes both the government of Uttar Pradesh, India's biggest state, and the office of its chief minister, Yogi Adityanath. Also hit were the Punjab National Congress – the main opposition party in the northern state of Punjab – the University Grants Commission and the Meteorological Department.
- The chief minister's office was compromised on Saturday. The profile picture was replaced with a "bored ape," hundreds of tweets were posted and old tweets deleted.
- The account was restored and a case was registered in connection with the matter at the Cyber Crime police station in the state capital of Lucknow, according to tweets by the state government's official Twitter account.
- On Monday, the state government's account was hacked. The perpetrators tweeted a link to the "beanz army" website.
- A similar post appeared on the Punjab Congress Twitter handle.
- The linked website contained a statement saying "We have decided to give back to our community by distributing extra airdrop claims to holders of Azuki and other NFTs. Claim your airdrop of BEANZ and become involved with the Azuki ecosystem using the interactive Azuki NFT."
- All Twitter accounts compromised have been restored.
CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk offers all employees above a certain salary threshold, including journalists, stock options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.