A son of a Singapore financier and a son of the family that started Mewah International Inc., an edible oils company, have founded ARC, a private, NFT-based social networking app that will be open to anyone who owns their non-fungible token, Bloomberg News reported on Thursday. They plan to eventually create an “ARC metaverse,” a huge virtual community that includes a gaming element.
- Kiat Lim, 28, the son of financier Peter Lim, and Elroy Cheo, 37, of the family that started Mewah, told Bloomberg that ARC’s app-based community will connect people from Taiwan to South Korea and Australia to network, collaborate on projects and share stories.
- The next step will be to host exclusive member events, and then create the ARC metaverse with the gaming element. ARC will charge an annual subscription fee to those who choose not to own ARC’s NFTs.
- “We are a networking ecosystem that encompasses online and offline experiences, and pushing online boundaries,” Lim told Bloomberg.
- Lim and Cheo began work on their startup before the coronavirus pandemic started. The app works only on iPhones now, but an Android version is being tested.
- “ARC” partly expresses the founders’ goal to bridge the real and virtual worlds and the transition to Web 3.
- “We want to create a community that Asia has never seen before,” Cheo told Bloomberg. “We saw the world change a lot, especially after Covid. People in this target segment now all want a sense of belonging.”
Read more: A Crypto Guide to the Metaverse
CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk offers all employees above a certain salary threshold, including journalists, stock options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.