Ethereum Hashrate Reaches All-Time High
Computing power on the network has rebounded from China’s mining crackdown as demand picks up.
Ethereum’s hashrate reached an all-time high on Sunday, indicating that the worst effects of China’s crackdown are in the past.
- The hashrate has been on an upward trajectory since the end of June. Prior to the incline that led to today’s level, the all-time high was on May 19, when Etherscan recorded 632.8 TH/s and OKLink 604.5 TH/s.
- Chinese cities and provinces have been cracking down on crypto mining since a May 21 statement from the State Council. As miners powered off their rigs and tried to move their operations abroad, hashrates for both ethereum and bitcoin fell. Many of these miners are now operational again.
- Eddie Wang, a senior researcher at OKLink, also attributed the increase to a change in miners’ expectations. Miners and analysts expected Ethereum’s London hard fork, which was implemented on Aug. 5, to cause a fall in miner revenue, Wang told CoinDesk via WeChat.
- But high demand on the network, with minting of non-fungible tokens that carry high priority fees, has kept miners’ revenue up, Wang said.
- Because mining has proven profitable after the hard fork, more miners are coming online, Wang said.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.