UK's NHS Taps Blockchain Tech to Monitor Coronavirus Vaccine Cold Chain
Hedera Hashgraph's blockchain platform will provide the health service with a tamperproof record of vaccine temperatures, the firm said.
The U.K. National Health Service (NHS) is working with blockchain platform Hedera Hashgraph to monitor COVID-19 vaccines' temperature while in cold storage.
- Asset-monitoring company Everyware will provide software to track the vaccines' temperature around the clock, while Hedera’s distributed ledger technology will provide the NHS with a tamperproof and efficient record of the data, according to a press release Tuesday.
- NHS facilities in the U.K.’s South Warwickshire, Stratford Upon Avon and Warwick hospitals region will be using the technology initially, with a wider rollout planned as vaccine distribution progresses.
- The vaccines need to be kept well below freezing in order to prevent spoiling, so accurate monitoring is essential.
- “As we begin to prepare the roll out of these new COVID-19 vaccines, with the specific temperature requirements, we recognize the importance of utilizing their same tracking and monitoring capabilities,” said Steve Clarke, electro biomedical engineering manager at South Warwickshire NHS, in the announcement.
- As of Jan. 18, the U.K. has provided over 4 million people with their first dose of the vaccine, according to a tweet from Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.