Coronavirus Vaccinations Certified With VeChain's Blockchain Tech in Cyprus
The medical certification app was developed by VeChain and I-Dante last May.
The Mediterranean Hospital of Cyprus has vaccinated 100 doctors and nurses against COVID-19, using a blockchain-based mobile app to certify the immunizations.
- In an announcement Tuesday, the hospital said the certifications were made via the E-HCert app backed by the VeChainThor blockchain. The first vaccine was administered on Jan. 4.
- The hospital described the move as a "great step for the return to normalcy" and another move towards the digital transformation of the health care industry via VeChainThor blockchain.
- E-HCert was first used in June 2020 for certifying COVID-19 tests results for more than 8,000 people arriving in Cyprus, said the Mediterranean Hospital.
- “With every country trying to create its own app, the use of VeChainThor (via the E-HCert App) as a single and immutable source of truth brings value, versatility and convenience for the return to normalcy,” tweeted Dimitris Neocleous, ecosystem manager at VeChain in Limassol.
- The app was developed by VeChain and I-Dante specifically for the hospital last May.
- The technology is now expected to be used by the Aretaeio Hospital in Nicosia, according to the Cyprus Mail.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.