The VeChain Foundation has become the first blockchain-based entity to join the China Animal Health and Food Safety Alliance (CAFA).
- According to a Thursday Medium blog post, VeChain joins the 130-strong member group as its only public blockchain technology provider, and will further provide technical and infrastructural support for member firms.
- CAFA is a government-backed organization that falls within the purview of the Ministry of Agriculture of the People’s Republic of China and includes of some of the world's most recognizable brands such as MacDonald's and IBM.
- According to the post, CAFA intends to build a "farm to table" traceability system across China that would record the various stages of the food supply process on the blockchain in order to build trust with consumers.
- China has suffered a number of scandals involving food safety – or lack of it – such as counterfeit baby milk and frying oil containing carcinogens.
- CAFA sets out to prevent such incidents from occurring, as well as to ensure animal health.
- VeChain will assist the alliance in the development of its platform by connecting member organizations within China's food supply chain and offering technical support.
- The firm hopes its ToolChain platform will be integrated by the companies into their existing business processes; one firm has already done so, per the blog post.
CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk offers all employees above a certain salary threshold, including journalists, stock options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.