The Secret Network will deploy its “secret contracts” on the live blockchain Sept. 15, pending passage by the community, Tor Bair, the Secret Foundation’s executive director and chairman, said.
Secret contracts are a type of smart contract that allows private data to be used in decentralized applications without revealing the raw data. A formal proposal to introduce the contracts will be made on Sept. 8.
- The inputs, outputs, and network state are encrypted in a secret contract, which means the data is hidden even on a public blockchain. It is also invisible to the nodes executing the contract.
- The upgrade would be significant as it would make Secret Network the first main blockchain architecture that enables users to do general purpose privacy computation across nodes equipped with secure enclaves.
- Secure enclaves are isolated areas within a hardware device where sensitive data is encrypted and inaccessible to other parts of the CPU.
- The network is building connections to Ethereum, Cosmos Hub and other blockchain networks, with the aim of bringing “programmable privacy” to a wider array of protocols, according to Bair's blog post Friday.
- The Secret Network made this announcement in advance of the mainnet launch so validators can coordinate due to the size of the upgrade, according to Bair.
- “We believe that programmable privacy is the critical missing piece to global adoption of public blockchains and open financial systems," said Bair.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.